Friday, August 20, 2010

Mars Hoax??

WTF!!??
I'm very annoyed and disappointed. I got this (very goofy) forwarded e-mail containing a (very goofy) Powerpoint of how Mars will be huge and close to Earth later this month. Upon further investigation, I've learned that it is not only untrue, but that I'm also a perpetuator of enormous stupidity. And...it's OLD! OLD HOAX!
*sigh* I forwarded it..astronomy geek that I am.
*hanging head in shame*
I'm a sheep.
*bleat* (Don't sheep bleat??)

The article, Beware the Mars Hoax, explains the whole thing, and it also gives the correct date and information for the REAL event.
The only question I'm left with now is: WHY in the world would someone go to all the trouble to make something like that up and then spread it all over the internet?? I mean..is it some sort of weird graduate project on mass emailing trends? Is there someone out there that's angry at Mars and trying to make it look bad? Does someone want to just be sitting at home on the night of August 27th laughing gleefully and maniacally about all these people standing around in fields and their yards, staring blankly into the night sky for indeterminate amounts of time?
AND..I wish I had that kind of time and energy...just to waste. I could build a time machine or clean my kitchen. Whichever was more pressing.

1 comment:

  1. LOL!!! I told my dad about after you sent me the mail, and he just waved a hand at me and told me he'd been getting that email for YEARS! Haaaa.

    I still looked for a moon sized Mars...just because.

    Maybe the person who made it wasn't playing a prank, per se. Maybe he or she wanted people to interrupt their hectic lives for a moment and look at the sky...remember who we are and where we came from ultimately.

    Either way, thanks. :)

    ReplyDelete