Thursday, September 2, 2010

BEER 101

Yes..the beer I'm writing about must be in ALL CAPS!!!
I have become a BEER connoisseur. For close to a year now, my friend (oh..let's call him Merlin the Honorary Lesbian) and I have been semi-frequenting an awesome bar here in Baton Rouge, LA. The Cove (and Port Royal) is (are) the absolute best bar(s) to visit here if you're interested in not only educating yourself about beer and the various brewing processes, but also sampling a mind-boggling variety of local, American, and international beers. (They also have tons of liquors, wines, and a very special collection of scotches.) This is serious stuff, people. This is not keg party beer, not for tailgating, not for downing by the case, and it requires a bit of a commitment on the part of the drinker. You don't order these to get hammered..these are liquid art, and you're even offered study materials and encouraged to keep a Beer Log (I don't so far). I'm never sure if I should be more impressed with the selection of 439 beers or the knowledgeable bartenders. We don't even pick anymore..they just tell us what we want.
Last night I was given Ayinger Celebrator Doppelbock, and I liked it enough to drink two. I even got little, plastic goat ornaments (they're around the neck of the bottle, like in the logo). Great beer AND plastic goats you can hang from your ears..or..whatever's handy. Can't beat that. :D
For now it's my favorite, and I love the label. Next time..who knows?
Four hundred or so to go...wow..Merlin and I may have to start working out.
In the meantime I encourage anyone who may happen upon this to check out the sites I have linked, including Beer Advocate, and, if you're a true beer lover, begin your education. I'm planning to go for my doctorate.

No comments:

Post a Comment